Same-Day Crowns vs Traditional Crowns
Many people are not aware that a CEREC same-day crown can be used just like a traditional crown when it comes to treating a root canal or extreme tooth decay as well as cracks, discolorations or gaps. Getting a traditional crown involves a significant time commitment, and complications can arise. However, there is now the option of having a crown made in just one visit. However, there are positives and negatives to both traditional crowns and same day crowns to consider.
Are Same-Day Crowns Better Than Traditional Crowns?
Dental crowns, in general, are prosthetic restorations that are fixed on damaged teeth to restore them to their original function, size, and shape. Crowns are bonded on the teeth and restore the outer aspect of the tooth hence the name “crown.” Below is an overview of both CEREC® dental crowns and traditional ones, including the differences, which are important to know.
CEREC® dental crowns
CEREC® stands for the chairside economical restoration of esthetic ceramic, which in reference to dental crowns, means ceramic dental crowns that are made chairside in an economical fashion. CEREC® relies on CAD/CAM technology, which is computer-aided design and manufacturing. In simpler terms, this means that dental crowns are made through a computer-based machine right in the dentist’s office. The machine takes digital impressions and then creates the crown from a block of ceramic.
Traditional dental crowns
Unlike CEREC® same-day dental crowns, traditional ones are not made chairside or in a dentist’s office. Instead, they are made in a dental lab over the course of a week or two. They require physical impressions to be made, which requires a separate appointment. Additionally, CEREC® dental crowns are made only in ceramic, whereas traditional ones are offered in a wide variety of materials, including gold, metal alloys, composite resin and porcelain.
Things to consider when choosing between Same-Day Crowns and Traditional Crowns:
- Same-Day Crowns are more convenient since you would not need to take extra time off work or duties to undergo the procedure. You only need one visit to create and fir your crown.
- Aesthetically Same-Day Crowns are more appealing than traditional crowns since the dentist has time to pick the same shade of crowns as your teeth. Porcelain crowns are also more attractive than lab-created crowns fused with metal.
- The crown fits because any adjustments that are to be made can be implemented since you are there during the creating and molding process
- Some patients do not fancy putty and find it somewhat uncomfortable, so they get to skip this part of the process.
- There will be no need for temporary crowns while you wait for the permanent crowns hence also eliminating another visit.
- Ceramic is used to make the same-day crowns, whereas traditional crowns are made of various materials like ceramic, porcelain, and metal. The crowns that are fused with metal are durable because metal integrates well with the sensitive part of your teeth known as dentin.
Either way, it is essential to note that, like most procedures, it comes down to your preferences. There are instances where you might be forced to go a different route.
We will gladly answer any questions you may have.Ask Questions
Denali Dental offers the ability to request your dentist appointments online. Schedule an appointment now!Book Online
New Patient Forms
By filling out the New Patient Forms ahead of time you will save significant time on your visit.New Patient Forms